Nether Stowey Village Hall and Recreation Ground CIO
The village hall and playing fields, also known as the recreation ground, are incredibly valuable community facilities at the heart of Nether Stowey and are looked after by a charity run entirely by volunteers which include trustees, committees and members.
Until 2017 the Village Hall and Recreation Ground were run by separate committees of volunteers on behalf of the community. The two committees then merged in 2017 to form the Nether Stowey Village Hall & Recreation Ground Charitable Incorporated Organisation Reg 1176413 (NSVH&RG CIO)
The Village Hall and Recreation Ground is a membership organisation are operated by a team of dedicated volunteers and trustees ensuring the day to day running of the sites, fundraising and running events.
The trustees are a mixture of people involved with the Village Hall and Recreation Ground for many years and a project team of trustees driving the new project forward to relocate the Village Hall.
The charity ensures that each trustee has a specific skill that ensures it meets the needs of the community efficiently and effectively.
Each trustee is able to form committees made up of members of the charity and this is how members of the community can get involved and help to safeguard access to sports, arts and recreational activities for generations to come. Trustees are nominated and elected at Annual General Meetings by the charity’s members.
Why be a member?
As a member you:
- Improve our chances of winning outside funding. (With around 1,600 people in our Parish, we need to show donors that a considerable part of the village is behind this, and it is something everyone wants.)
- As a member, you can say how we manage, grow and develop the Village Hall and Recreation Ground.
- You can nominate and elect Trustees at Annual General Meetings.
Who can be a member?
- Is over 18
- Lives in the parish of Nether Stowey or the Surrounding area
- Agrees to exercise his or her powers in good faith to further the purposes of the CIO – the provision and maintenance of a community centre, sports field and recreation ground for the Village.
- Has paid the Annual Subscription of £2 per person – Membership run from the 1st May.
How to become a member:
- Apply to the CIO membership secretary indicating your interest with your full name and address;
- Email – email@example.com
- Post to NSVH&RG CIO c/o Parish Council office, 2 Castle Street, Nether Stowey TA5 1LN.
- If your application meets the eligibility criteria you will be contacted with details of how to pay the Annual Subscription – £2 for the year from 1st May.
The charity is managed by a dedicated group of volunteer trustees elected at the Annual General Meeting.
Each trustee is able to form committees, made up of members of the charity, this is also how members can be involved to help safeguard access to sport, arts and recreational activities for generations to come.
Who can be a Charity Trustee?
Anyone who is:
- Over 18
- A member of the CIO can then stand for election by the Members at the AGM.
Why be a Charity Trustee?
As a Charity Trustee:
- You will be showing your commitment and support towards the Village Hall and Recreation Ground facilities in the village.
- You will have the opportunity to use your skills and experience to benefit the village through exercising the powers of the CIO.
Stowey Centre Project
The Nether Stowey Village Hall and Recreation Ground CIO are working on an exciting new project to build a new multi-purpose centre on the recreation ground over the next two years.
For more information see our Stowey Centre Project